Items assessed pre-interview
- GCSE grades (or equivalent)
- AS grades if available
- Predicted A level grades/ International Bacc. Scores (or equivalent)
- Referees’ reports
Evidence from personal statement of interest in and academic potential for Biochemistry
All candidates are assessed by a central panel and ranked on these items prior to shortlisting.
Items assessed at interview
- Interest in/enthusiasm for biochemistry
- Ability to describe/discuss a topic of mutual interest
- Ability to describe/analyse novel information
- Ability to extrapolate from novel information
Reasoning and problem solving ability
All candidates can expect to be interviewed by representatives of two different Colleges.
Criteria for not inviting candidates for interview
Most candidates will be summoned for interview unless their application gives good cause to doubt that they will meet the standard offer (A*AA at A2 level, excluding General Studies). One or more of the following would give rise to such doubt.
- Poor results in official examinations, especially GCSE or its equivalent.
- Poor results predicted, or already obtained, in A2 level or equivalent examinations
- A negative school report.