Casual Teaching


This section is directed to those of you who are either students, visitors from other departments, or are planning to undertake casual teaching in different departments e.g. lecturing, demonstrating, teaching.


 If you are new to casual teaching:

  • contact your Departmental Teaching Supervisor for more details - you should know the details of your agreement like the subject you will work on, payment dates, etc., BEFORE you agree to do any work; 
  • provide the Biochemistry HR team your starter form and completed Equality and Diversity form;
  • make sure that a Right to Work check has been carried out, prior to commencing any form of casual teaching. IT IS IN YOUR INTEREST to arrange the RTW check appointment ASAP with Biochemistry HR prior to any casual teaching, otherwise, you won't be paid for work you did!


 If you are a returning casual (after 12 months or longer), please also make sure that a Right to Work check has been carried out, prior to commencing any form of casual teaching.


right to work check is a Home Office process to establish that each employee/casual worker has the right to work in the UK.

Under the 2006 Immigration, Nationality and Asylum Act the University has a duty to prevent illegal working by carrying out document checks to confirm that a person has the right to work in the UK. All employees, casual workers, and Tier 5 sponsored visa holders must have their right to work checked before they start work at the University. In addition, those with time-limited right to work in the UK (i.e. those who hold a ‘List B’ document such as a visa) must have a repeat check before their visa/document is due to expire.

Please remember - it is ESSENTIAL that any Casual Teacher goes to Admin in Biochemistry, BEFORE they start work, with their passport for RTW to be carried out. Your Demonstrator/ Lecturer won't be paid for classes he's/ she's done, unless there is an update in the system or RTW check done.


A new casual contract will be required for each Academic year  - please remember we are required by new Legislation to issue an individual with a contract covering the casual work before they undertake that work. 


Please note that a new Right to Work check will have to be carried out regardless of whether this has been done in another department(s) or College(s). 


IMPORTANT UPDATE: The Home Office has announced that the temporary adjustments to right-to-work (RTW) checks due to COVID-19, which allow a check to be undertaken remotely, are ending. In response to feedback across many different sectors, the Home Office has now stated that the temporary adjustments will end on 31st August 2021. This means, that after the 31st August 2021, you will need to see HR face-to-face for your documents check, rather than have a quick Teams call (as it happens currently).


If you are a member of the Biochemistry Department, you can find more information under this link.

Information for students can be found here