With a large range of research topics, state-of-the-art facilities, and access to some of the world’s foremost scientific minds, this is the place to begin your research career.

We’re working to widen the scope of biochemistry, not only engaging with a broad variety of topics across 45 research groups but researching life at different scales, making new connections at molecular, structural and cell levels. So studying with us offers you a unique choice of biochemistry interests in which to specialise.

To support that range of research, our department invests in high-quality, cutting-edge equipment, giving you access to in-house facilities such as NMR, X-ray diffraction, crystallisation, biophysical analysis, analytical ultracentrifugation, FACS analysis and imaging microscopes. You’ll also be able to use facilities in other departments across the Medical Sciences division, as well as at places like the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, DIAMOND Light Source and Harwell Science and Innovation Campus.

In addition to its state-of-the-art facilities, our department building has been designed in an open, transparent style, to make it easy for you to meet other researchers, collaborate, and share ideas. We regularly hold departmental seminars that bring you together with our academic and research staff, many of whom have achieved international recognition, and you’ll be well connected and supported through your supervisors and graduate advisers.

90% of our recent alumni have gone on to pursue a career in academic or industrial research, while the remaining 10% hold positions in a variety of different sectors including patent law, scientific publishing, and teaching. So why not join them, by exploring how you can begin your career in our world-renown department.