Graduate international students

Some of the brightest minds from across the globe come to study at the University of Oxford every year, with 138 nationalities currently represented across the various colleges and departments.


In the Department of Biochemistry alone we have students, staff, and researchers from more than 14 countries and we believe that diversity is part of what makes our community so vibrant, innovative, and fresh.

Things to think about before you apply

If you want to study on a full-time course for longer than six months you’ll have to apply for a Student Visa via the Student Visa Route in your home country (unless you’re an EEA or Swiss national). You need to do this before you travel to the UK, and will have to make sure you allow plenty of time for the visa to be processed. 

You’ll also need to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate, as biochemistry is considered a sensitive subject of study under the ATAS rules.

A Certificate of Acceptance for Study (CAS) number will be also be required for your student visa application - but we’ll help you with that. Our Graduate Studies Administrator will submit an application for your CAS number for you once your offer of admission has been confirmed.

There are also a number of practical things to consider, such as accommodation, living costs, access to medical care, language issues and generally adjusting to life and study in the UK. You can find out more about all these things on the University of Oxford website, which has lots of advice about applying to study here as an international student, general information about life in Oxford, and details about finding and getting the right visa.